West News Wire: The National Symphony Orchestra of Taiwan decided to postpone its performance of singer Anna Netrebko on March 5 “due to public concerns,” according to the orchestra.
It was planned for Netrebko to appear alongside her spouse, tenor Yusif Eyvazov, and mezzo-soprano I-Chiao Shih.
Buyers of tickets will be provided with refunds, the symphony announced in a statement on Tuesday.
Until last year, when she was dropped by New York’s Metropolitan Opera because she wouldn’t distance herself from Russian President Vladimir Putin in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, 51-year-old, Vienna-based Netrebko was one of classical music’s top draws.
He schedule lists upcoming concerts in Hong Kong on March 9 and 11, and at Tokyo on March 15. She is scheduled to open the 100th anniversary season of Italy’s Arena di Verona on June 16 in the title role of Verdi’s “Aida” with Eyvazov, as Radamès.
Miguel Esteban, Netrebko’s manager, said she was not commenting on the decision.
“Anna was ready, willing and able to sing to her fans in Taipei.” Esteban told to the reporters. “Following discussions that began in January 2022, this invitation was formally proposed and accepted in September 2022.”
Esteban listed Netrebko’s “more than two dozen exceptional performances” since.
“It is unfortunate that someone has allowed the dissonant voices of a minority to deprive a majority from hearing one of the most beautiful operatic voices today,” he said.