West News Wire: According to the Palestinian Health Ministry, two Palestinians were murdered overnight during an Israeli army raid in the city of Nablus in the occupied West Bank.

According to the ministry’s statement on Sunday, Abdul Rahman Jamal Suleiman Sobh, 28, was shot in the head while Muhamad Azizi, 25, was slain by a bullet to the chest.

Israeli forces reportedly attacked the al-Yasmina neighborhood in the Old City of Nablus around midnight, cordoned off a house, and then started blasting the building with explosives and gunfire, killing two Palestinians, according to the Palestinian news agency Wafa.

At least 12 additional people were hurt, one of whom is in critical condition, according to the Palestinian Red Crescent.

A neighbour, Naser Estitya, 60, said he heard gunshots from inside the house before the Israeli forces fired heavily at the house.

Photos from the scene showed part of the wall on the top floor had been destroyed.

“Another crime committed by the occupation forces in the old city of Nablus, where martyrs have fallen and many wounded,” Hussein al-Sheikh, a senior Palestinian official, said on Twitter.

“We strongly condemn this crime, and we hold the occupation responsibility for its repercussions.”

The Israeli army said it was carrying out an operation in Nablus, without immediately commenting on the Palestinian report of casualties.

In a statement, it said there were exchanges of fire between armed suspects and troops that ended with “neutralising the terrorists inside the house and on its roof”.

Large crowds gathered for the funeral processions of both men in Nablus.

Read More
US protects Saudi Crown Prince in murder of journalist

Israeli forces entered the old city in Nablus and shelled a house where gunmen were sheltering and shot dead Palestinian men, both in their twenties.

“It was announced that both men were members of the military wing of Fatah, the Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade. Abdul Rahman was engaged and had been in Israeli prisons a couple of years back. His uncle was also killed by Israeli forces in 2019.

“Israeli raids into the occupied West Bank have been happening for years as a near nightly occurrence, but they have intensified after March and April,” he said.

Holman said that a general strike across Nablus had been called to mourn the killing of both men and to protest the continuous Israeli raids.

There is no assurance that these raids won’t happen again. Additionally, there is no sense of optimism for their future, according to Holman, who spoke to several young Palestinians in Nablus.

Since late March, at least 52 Palestinians have died, predominantly in the West Bank.

They include both suspected armed combatants and non-combatants, like as Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, a dual citizen of the United States and Palestine who was covering an Israeli operation in Jenin.

As a result of a wave of attacks against Israel in recent months, Israeli security forces have conducted raids in the West Bank almost every day.

In the same time frame, 19 people mostly Israeli civilians living inside Israel have died, mostly as a result of Palestinian attacks.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here